The GST/HST New Housing Rebate program provides a rebate on part of the GST or the federal part of the HST paid on the construction or purchase of most newly constructed or substantially renovated houses used as a primary place of residence.
The rebate is available for any of the following:
• Building a home or contracting someone to build one
• Buying a newly constructed or substantially renovated home from a builder
• Buying a newly constructed house from a builder, where you lease the land from the builder under the same agreement to buy the house
• Substantially renovating a home or building a major addition to one
• Rebuilding a home destroyed by fire
• Buying a share of the capital stock in a newly constructed cooperative housing project